It’s easier than ever to buy or sell things on online platforms like Craigslist and the Facebook Marketplace. However, you always need to be careful when meeting strangers to exchange purchases.
These simple steps can help protect you when completing an online purchase in person:
- Only finish an exchange during daylight hours.
- Bring a friend or family member with you during exchanges.
- See if there’s a designated location for completing exchanges in your area. Local police departments have started to set up safe, open spots that are under video surveillance in order to make exchanges easier.
- Never agree to meet a stranger at a private residence or in a place that you’re unfamiliar with.
- Don’t provide buyers or sellers with any personal information that’s unnecessary for the exchange.
Disclaimer: This content is provided for informational purposes only. The information provided herein is not intended to be exhaustive, nor should it be construed as advice regarding coverage. Eligibility for coverage is not guaranteed and all coverages are limited to the terms and conditions contained in the applicable policy. © 2008, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.